Drake's Devil Dogs
1/2 c shortening
1 1/4 c granulated sugar
1 c milk
1 t vanilla
2 1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
2 c marshmallow creme,(17-ounce jar)
1 c shortening
1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/8 t salt
2 t very hot water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, blend together the egg, shortening and sugar with an electric mixer. Continue beating while adding the milk and vanilla.
3. In another bowl sift together remaining ingredients flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
4. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
5. Spoon about a tablespoon of the batter in strips about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until the cakes are done. Cool.
6. In another bowl combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla. Dissolve the 1/8 teaspoon of salt in the 2 teaspoons of very hot water in a small bowl. Add this salt solution to the filling mixture and beat on high speed with an electric mixer until the filling is smooth and fluffy.
7. When the cakes have cooled, spread about a tablespoon of filling on the face of one cake and top it off with another cake. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Makes 20-24 snack cakes.